Thursday, September 18, 2014

Week 2 in CSC165

This week in tutorial, I learned some tricks involving universal statements and venn diagrams.  When we had universal examples like, "All programs pass all tests" or "All programs fail at least 1 test", I used to get confused on the venn diagram. In the first example, "All programs pass all tests",  I would put an 'x' in the "tests" circle. This meant that there couldn't be any members in that circle because that meant that those programs failed a test. What I didn't know was that you also needed to include an 'o' in the intersection to communicate that programs had passed all tests.  For the second example, I had the opposite problem. "All programs fail at least 1 test" could also be expressed as "No programs passes all tests". To indicate this, I put an 'x' in the intersection. This meant that no elements were in the sets, all programs, and programs that passed all tests. What I didn't know was that I needed to put a circle in the "all programs" circle to show that there were elements there that didn't pass all tests.

No comments:

Post a Comment